Saturday, September 18, 2010

Thing #2 Web 2.0 and Why It Matters

I know I love to learn but usually I learn the normal ways (20th century ways) by reading, listening in a workshop, discussions with others in the form of book studies, etc. But, this Web 2.0 way opens up new avenues I really never considered because I am so behind on the use of digital technology. I've learned (no, really learned) some new words and what they mean such as whiteboard, blog, wiki, podcast, vodcast, and those are just technology words. I knew what collaborate meant but this adds an entirely new dimension to the situation. Making connections comes to mind as something I can assist others in doing as I learn about all of the diverse ways one can learn. This raises questions for me and changes my entire perspective on what a classroom really functions like. Should students be allowed to take out their cell phones and text one another IF the texts are on task. How will I know they are texting the appropriate thing? Instead of ordering calculators in math, why can't the kiddos use their phone calculators? Wouldn't that save precious funds at school? Couldn't they use the calculators in Excel spreadsheet or on the computers? This digital communication is a wide open field when it comes to motivating students. It's also the wave of the future and we have no choice but to learn about it and include it in our ways to instruct and present new material. This form of media can excite many of their senses, not simply provide audio and video. I see simulations in the future. I see virtual worlds where they make the connections based on what they perceive. We already have the Facebook community. One downside to this form of learning is the infringement of one student on another. There are students who don't multi-task well and need a quiet environment in order to learn. We have to find ways to accommodate the learner who thrives on chaos along with the learner who needs less stimulation. Utilizing digital media to learn changes our entire delivery focus in education.

1 comment:

  1. I had one of these kind of moments this week in the library. I introduced, for the first time, our Play Away books. It has been interesting seeing the teachers reactions: some are totally on board and love it, others see it as a distraction. All I know, is that I have seen kids this week that NEVER come to the library. We have to meet those learners where they are.

    ReplyDelete