Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thing #22 Social Networking

My husband and I created a MySpace account years ago when our kids became interested in the social networking site.  We allowed them to create one as well but we had to sit with them as they were online and we required them to let us set the password and not share that with them.  In those days laptops weren't readily available at a price we could afford so they were sitting at a desk with a desktop and us watching over their shoulders.  We found that the MySpace account was a little juvenile for our interests.  I logged onto it today for the first time in, oh, probably 2 or 3 years.  It looks markedly different.  Our account was in the name of MajaFaja (that's what our kids and grandkids call us sometimes).  MySpace is more suited for younger children.  It's jazzier and more upbeat. If I had kids today they would NOT have an account there.  I do think Facebook is a much more positive place.

My facebook account allows me to keep up with and enjoy the friends I have added over time.  I created the account before my kids moved away and it is how I see photos and share in their lives.  Two of my three children live out of town.  Facebook makes it easy to communicate.  Now that you can get to it on cell phones via internet, life is mobile.

Facebook and MySpace are one of the most important aspects of student life now.  We have an obligation to teach them responsible use of them.  Social networking is no longer a futuristic idea.  It is here and they are excellent at the task.  With these social networking sites come issues and problems due to their immaturity and inability to realize they cannot control who is out there in the cyberworld.  Kids today want to hear music, any and all of it and any way they can get it.  They share it on Facebook and MySpace.  They take photos with their digital devices and upload them to these social networking sites.  This is how they grow and find themselves and become accepted.  They now have a need to be a part of the community of social networking.  Many of these kids have made it global, not just local.  They also learn from children that are from areas other than their own.  They like to know how they are like other kids in all parts of the world.

I am not a fan of MySpace.  In my opinion it is difficult to use.  The codes and design areas are complicated and take code.  The HELP button isn't that helpful.  It's too busy and decorative for me.  I realize children like this feature but I don't.  Facebook has so many fun things to do.  They have games, calendars, events, applications and interactive activities.  Facebookers can share causes, professional organizations, games, photos, news feeds, posts, messages, and see friends list of other friends.  We can find out who knows who we know, how they are related, wish a friend happy birthday, console those who have lost a love one, spread the word needed to be spread (positively) quickly, help someone in need for anything imaginable by simply posting something.

My experiences on Facebook have been and continue to provide me with hours of fun and entertainment.  When I can't sleep at night I can always jump online and chat with someone who shares my insomnia.

No comments:

Post a Comment