Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thing #23 Beyond Facebook - Other Social Networks

I had no idea there were other social networking sites besides Facebook and MySpace.  I guess I just never thought about it.  As I went through this learning activity I discovered Ning.  I had heard about this from some friends but had just never taken time to check it out.

Classroom 2.0 is a motivating tool for teachers and students.  There are technical glossaries on various online applications and science projects.  These make me think of  the books  Internet for Dummies and other similar books.  In one video I watched, someone uploaded a portion of Oprah on “Waiting for Superman” a movie about public education w/comments by Bill Gates.  What a controversial piece of video.

Classroom 2.0 has a forum section.  You can read comments, questions, and ideas about most any topic.  The forum allows you to interact with the person who is posting.  I looked around at members to find out who in my district was a member.  I was surprised to find that not many join the site.  I answered a few questions some of the forum posters had and read a few to learn more about the site.  Teachers from all over the world can network and discuss topics, ask questions, and share ideas and audio, video assignments.

The Latest Activity area allows you to see what the latest tools and posts are.  It is fun to see what people are thinking about.

After learning more about Twitter, I am still not sold on the site.  Time is the issue there.  My life is fast paced enough, I don't have time to check the posts often.  I did however, find a great use for Twitter in a History class.  Teachers could have students comment on a post they made such as a comment about a historical figure.  For example, if I typed in George Washington I would have students make comments that George might have made.  Twitter also has a way to survey, Twtpoll.com.  This tool might be a very fast way to survey.  

No comments:

Post a Comment