Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Thing #10 Creative Commons

As I go in search of things on the web now I am more aware of copyright. Although I do understand it (somewhat) and try to respect the law, I do get confused on what I can and cannot use. Now I realize this may be due to neglecting to seek out the copyright on a webpage or site. I returned to Google Images and looked at a few. There in print were the words "This image may be subject to copyright." But how do I know for sure? I didn't see a CC anywhere on the webpage? Does this mean I can't use it?

I visited TeacherPlanet to look for the copyright statement and did find one at the bottom of the website. I didn't see a CC anywhere. I'd never heard of CreativeCommons until I worked here on this Thing #10. To be honest, I never really worried about copyright infringement either. I just thought if it was out on the web it was for public use. I will definitely pay attention to the sites I visit and what I use from now on. I'll be more responsible and teach students about the responsibility of copyright issues. This was eye-opening. I taught Math for 17 years and haven't had a need since college to apply the copyright rules. I know that is no excuse and I'm determined to set a good example when I have opportunities to explain this to anyone. CreativeCommons makes it easy to allow my own creations to be shared with everyone. I like that and I like knowing I can go back and look at how they made my creation different, even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment