Sunday, October 17, 2010

Thing #9 Setting Up My Wiki and Playing in the Sandbox

Playing in the wiki sandbox was a bit frustrating but once I got going things just flowed.  At first I couldn't figure out how to join the wiki.  I later found out it was because I wasn't logged in.  As I went to the sandbox site, I realized I had to join and be accepted.  I did join and didn't have to wait long until I noticed I was accepted but I realized it by accident.  I never did see a Fall 2010 link that listed my fellow participants.

As I began to edit my wiki page (Toes in the Sand) in the sandbox I realized how easy it was.  I was surprised at how easy it was to add photos.  Now I want to learn to upload video but I have to take video first.  I'm grabbing my camera tomorrow at school to click away and post a few seconds of video.  I played around with the fonts and colors of the text.  I want to go back and look at the educational wiki's now that I know how they created them.  I am also curious about what other formatting options are available, such as the brackets around toc for the table of contents.  The photos I uploaded were placed at the top to the left.  I want to find out how to move these about and place them where I want them instead.

I can't wait to show my site to some of my teachers and find out how they could use this in their classrooms or on class projects.  I feel that I know enough now to teach them to use the basics and maybe they can assign something like this to their students and the kiddos can teach us a thing or two.

I also added a couple of websites to the 2.0 Web Sites.  I also placed my blog site, TLACBookStudy  in the 2.0 Tool Integration Ideas so that others can see how I am applying what I am learning.

I'll be going back to the other wiki's my fellow classmates created to get some ideas.

2 comments:

  1. The photos on your wiki page are beautiful ... I love beaches and sunsets, too. I had almost the identical problems as you had when I started created my wiki page. I've decided that working through setbacks is one of the main strands in this course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I've found that one of my problems is not reading all the way through the 'thing' before I go on with the activities. I'm getting better at this. I guess I can't fault my students who get excited about a lab or project and dig in without listening to all of my directions.

    ReplyDelete